Select a time
A private masterclass for one or more people, who want to learn the basics of how to use an ice axe and crampons for winter walking. A Lake District Fell Top Assessor will guide you through the basic techniques required for safe winter walking in the fells.
- Start point: 08.30am in Glenridding
- Postcode: CA11 0PD
- Grid ref: NY385169
- Price: £125 adults only
- Length: 10-15km
- Duration: 8-9 hours
- Total ascent: 900m
- Highest point: 950m
- Grade: Strenuous
- A good level of fitness is required.
- Adults only. Not open to those under 18 years of age.
We provide all the technical gear for the day, but you are expected to have your own personal clothing and equipment. You will need*:
- Full waterproofs (including trousers and gaiters)
- Warm layers including a spare fleece/down jacket
- Woolly hat and gloves, ski goggles, head torch and spare batteries
- Rucksack (at least 30L), and winter walking boots (must be rated B1 or B2 to take crampons)
- Packed lunch including a hot drink and spare snacks
- You will also need an ice axe and crampons (rated at least C1 – not ‘spikes’) and winter boots that are crampon compatible – you can hire all of these, simply add to your booking on the checkout page.
*The instructor reserves the right to refuse to take anyone on the day who does not have the correct personal clothing and boots. No jeans please, and avoid cotton baselayers.
The courses are run by our Fell Top Assessors who summit Helvellyn daily through the winter months so they know the winter conditions out on the fells as well as anyone.Dates
The winter skills course run from December through to April.
In the event that there is a lack of snow or snow conditions are deteriorating, a course will continue with a mountaineering day. The day will provide the opportunity to experience a day in the mountains with our highly skilled and qualified Fell Top Assessor(s).
In the event of adverse weather our Fell Top Assessor(s) will make a decision on the day as to whether the event will proceed or an alternative be offered. Their decision is final.
You can book for 1, 2 or a group of up to 6 people. All courses must be booked in advance.
Disclaimer: Winter hillwalking is a potentially hazardous activity. Although all reasonable steps are taken to ensure the safety of people participating in the events listed, individuals do so at their own risk. Your instructor reserves the right to refuse to guide anyone who does not have appropriate clothing and footwear.
Location: Ullswater Information Centre, Glenridding Glenridding, Penrith, Cumbria, CA11 0PD